Preventing cavities is often one of the key functions of oral health care. Cavities are formed when harmful acids slowly eat through the tooth enamel on a tooth, leaving a hole in its place. To ensure that your teeth may last a lifetime, cavities must be prevented or treated as soon and as often as possible.
To take your oral health care to new heights with cavity prevention, consider the following:
– To lower your risk for cavities, the ADA recommends that you brush your teeth at least twice per day and floss once per day.
– Make time for professional cleanings every 6 months and book oral health care appointments for checkups with your dentist as mandated.
– Follow a healthier diet, and maintain a balanced diet that is high in minerals such as phosphorus and calcium, which can promote healthy teeth and a durable enamel layer.
– Sticky and chewy foods that stay in your mouth can greatly increase your risk for cavities, so choose wisely, or use a cleaning utensil after meals such as sugarless gum or mouthwash.
– Do your best to avoid harmful elements that can cause cavities, such as sugar.
– Brush and floss with tools that are dentist recommended or those with the ADA Seal of Acceptance approval.
For any additional questions or concerns about cavities, Pollary Family Dentistry is here to help you with all your oral health needs. For a complete diagnosis from Dr. Kenneth Pollary and our team in Colorado Springs, Colorado, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at 719-591-0750. Don’t let cavities control your life. It’s time to fight back and get the smile you deserve!